Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kale salad

We have returned to something like a semblance of normality around here, following last week’s invasion of the earth movers. This was the result of our main waste pipe packing it in, and resulted in a total shutdown of our water and gas, our removal a hotel for three days, a backyard that still looks like a natural disaster, and a bill that has not yet arrived but is anticipated with dread.

To celebrate my gratitude at returning to my beloved domestic routine, I offer a salad that I have made at least once a week for the past year. After years of valiantly trying to feel enthusiastic about having a big, healthy salad for lunch (and failing when the option of a toastie was always just so much more appealing), I have discovered the wonders of a salad made with raw kale. These are threefold:

1. You can make it ahead of time—in fact it’s better that way—and it retains its crunch and snap. For days, even.
2. It actually fills me up. Unlike every other salad I have tried to make into lunch, which, unless I load it with so much cheese that its health benefits are rendered negligible, leaves me ravenous by 3pm.
3. Kale is way cheaper than spinach or most fancy lettuces, and you don’t need as much of it to fill you up.

I know a lot of people are skeptical about the idea of eating raw kale, but I have made this for dozens of guests in the past year, and served it without divulging any details. People go out of their way to compliment this salad, including self-confessed salad haters.




Kale salad
As I said above, the salad is better if you make it and dress it some time ahead of when you plan to eat it, because the acid in the dressing wilts the kale somewhat and softens its fibrous texture. I usually aim to have the salad dressed at least 30 minutes before when I’ll be serving it, and 2 or 3 hours is even better—perfect for when you’ve got guests coming.

Ingredients
I have listed what I use to make this most often, but any number of other typical salad items would also be good here. (When I eat this for lunch, I often add some grated hard cheese, crumbled pita chips, etc.)

Salad
1 bunch kale
1 medium carrot
1 cucumber
1 small red onion

Dressing
6 tsp/30 ml acid (vinegar, lemon juice)
6 Tbsp/90 ml oil
1 tsp/5 g sweetener (sugar, maple syrup) (optional)
salt & pepper

Method
1. Remove the kale stems. (I do this by running a knife between the stem and the leafy part.)

2. Slice the kale into the thinnest ribbons you can manage.

3. Put sliced kale into cold water to soak while you get on with the next bit.

4. Prep whatever other things you are putting in the salad and put them in a large bowl.

5. Make the dressing. (I do this by putting all the ingredients in a jar and shaking it vigorously.)

6. Drain and dry the kale using whatever method you have available. (I love my salad spinner.)

7. Add the kale to the large salad bowl, pour over half of the dressing, and mix thoroughly.

8. Taste and add more dressing until salad is coated to your satisfaction. Adjust seasonings.

9. Leave salad to sit at room temperature until ready to serve.

This makes enough salad for at least 6 people to have as a side, probably more. I almost always have leftovers--count on them, in fact, for a ready-made lunch the next day.

4 comments:

Zippy365 said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE KALE SALAD! You also want to know about this recent Saucy Spoon offering: "We know we just offered a Kale Salad a few weeks ago but we had this new salad four times in one weekend over the New Year - it was THAT good. The kale is so sweet and mild that even the kids love it. What makes it the Best Salad Ever? Is it the kale? the slivered Brussels sprouts? the macadamia nuts? the romano cheese? the lemon vinaigrette? the extra love in every toss? You'll have to order [make] one to find out for yourself." [Toast the macadamia nuts, leave them whole.]

And sorry about the sewer pipe :-(

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

@Zippy365 Saucy Spoon offering noted, thanks! I am always happy to have more ways to extend the kale salad love.

Jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

As one of your guests from the past year I can attest that the salad is AWESOME. I have been thinking of it recently so I am glad you posted the recipe. Sorry about the pipe. Did you get to stay at a fancy hotel?

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jennifer Jen, thanks for the endorsement! As for the hotel, it's the fanciest hotel in town--not that that's saying much, as it is also the only hotel in town.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...